Sunday, August 25, 2013

SECTION(2)Rooms and Furniture

SECTION(2) The Vocabs about Rooms and Furniture


Part One(Table)

Seat at the table


Leave the table
When I was a child,we had to ask permission before we could leave the table.


Lay/Set the table=Put knives,forks,...on a table before a meal
Roberta,would u lay/set the table while I cook breakfast,the knives and forks are in the draer next to the fridge(refrigerator)




Clear the table =Took all plates,glasses,...off
The waiter cleared the table
John,could u clear the table and put the dirty dishes in the sink,I will wash them later.


Book/Reserve a table(In a restaurant)
We were lucky to get a table,the restaurant was really busy when we got there.
I would like to book a table for four around 8:30



Manage to get a table 

Be shown to ur table
when we arrived at the restaurant,we were shown to our table by the head waiter

Reach across the table
I accidentally knocked over (hit)a glass of water while I was reaching across the table to get a salt.


Sit round the table
My father always sits at the top of the table when we are eating.
we will easily get 8 people round the dinning table for christmas dinner.


Set a place at the table
I have set a place for u at the table,u are sitting to next to Michael

A coffee table=(varius table=coffee,beside,dinner  table)
Kichen table

Dinner table

Side table


Coffee table




Dinning table



Folding table



NOTE 
Under the table=money that is paid under the table secretly and illegally
Payments were made under the table to local officials
NOTE
Knock over=hit,to hit sb with a vehicle while u are driving,so that they are hurt or killed
A woman knocked over by a bus last year.
At that moment sally knocked over her glass of wine


Part Two(Drawer)

Drawer
She took a file from her desk drawer

The scissors are in the kitchen drawer=drawer in a piece of kitchen furniture

Sock drawer=one for keeping socks

cutlery(knife+fork)drawer=one for keeping knives,forks


Open a drawer
He opened the top drawer of his desk,and took out a brown envelope
he opened the drawer of his desk and took out some writing paper

Lock a drawer
I'd love to read my sister's diary,but she keeps it in a drawer in her room,which she always locks when she goes out


At the back of the drawer
My mother finally found her wedding ring at the back of a drawer in her bedroom.

Look in a drawer
I've look in all the drawers in the house,but I could not find my passport anywhere.

The top/bottom drawer
We keep the scissors in the top drawer where oue son can not reach them

The right-hand drawer

The left hand drawer


The drawer is stiff
I am having trobule opening this drawer ,It is very stiff,can u try?

Pert Three(Chair)

Chair
Garden chair
Plastic garden chair

Metal garden chair

Garden Bench


Kitchen chair

Lounge chair


Pool lounge chair



Drafting chair/Office chair



School chair


Arm chair
 Electric chair

Stool


Sit in/on a chair
He was sitting in a chair
When I arrived my grandfather was sitting in his favorite chair by the fire



Lean back in ur chair
I just leaned back and put my feet up
I put my feet up on the desk ,leaned back in my chair and tried to relax

Reclining in a desk chair=to lie or lean back in a relax way

Push back ur chair
He pushed his chair back from table as if trying to escape
At the end of the meal he pushed back his chair and got up to make a speech


Pull up a chair/stool=to get a chair and sit down next to someone who is already sitting
Anyway ,I pull up a chair by the bed and say hello
He pulls up a chair as she starts another game
He now pulled up a chair and turning it about,sat on it,his elbow resting on the back

Get up from ur chair
I do not know what is wrong with him!he just got up from his chair and left without saying a word!
Rise/Rose from his chair=stand


Fall off ur chair
It was no accident,he fell off his chair,becoz he was very tired



NOTE
Fall off=a decrease in the level/amount/number of sth 
A fall off in profits

Flop into chair=If u flop into sth, u sit or lie down suddenly and heavily becoz u are tired
She flopped into armchair
I was so tired after work I just dropped my bags and flopped into the nearest chair.


He sank back into his chair
She returned to her seat and  sank languidly into the chair

Draw up a chair=to more ca chair closer to sb or sth
NOTE
Chairman/Chairwoman =someone who is in charge of a meeting 
"Mr chair man"May I ask a question?

Part Four(Mirror)

Look in the mirror
When I looked in the mirror,I could not believe it,I looked fantastic
She never leaves the house without looking herself in the hall mirror
When I looked in the mirror,I noticed a small spot on the tip of of my nose


Stand in front of the mirror
Rob was standing in front of a mirror ,trrying on a new suit ,when I last saw him


Break the mirror
They say u get 7 years'bad luck,If u break a mirror


A full-lenght mirror
There is a full-lenght mirror behind the door of wardrobe in the bathroom


A large/small mirror

The bathroom mirror
I find it difficult to shave when the bathroom mirror is all steamed up


The hall mirror


Hangging mirror
There is a large mirror,hanging above the fireplace in the living room


Rear-view mirror=Side-view car=Wing mirror 
I adjusted the side mirror then glanced in the rear-view mirror to see if anyone was behind me.


One-way-mirror

Part Five(Sheet,Blanket,Pillow,Matress,Wardrobe,

Alarm,Curtains)

Sheet
Change the sheets
Clean/Dirty sheets
My mother always changes the sheets on our beds on a sunday becoz monday is her washing day
Jack and Sue want to stay on saturday night,could u put some clean sheets on the bed in the spare room?


Blanket
An extra blanket
A warm blanket
It was colder than usual,so I put an extra blanket on my bed.
When my parents turn the lights out ,I read my book under the blanket with a torch.


Pillow
Prop youself  up with a pillow
Cry into pillow
I propped myself up with a couple of pillows,so that I could read comfortably in bed.
when I went into her room,Farah was crying into her pillow,she was obviously still upset about splitting up from her fiance.
I was so tired last night,I was asleep before my head hit the pillow.
NOTE
prop=to support sth by leaning it against sth or by putting sth else under,next to or behind it.
He propped his bike against a tree
Cry into ur beer=to feel so much pity(upset)for yourself especially becoz u think u have been treated unfairly.
Cry over spilt(spilled)milk=waste ur time

Mattress 
Sleep on a firm matrees
It is a very (hard/soft) martess
I prefer to sleep on a firm matress,if it is too soft,I find it gives me a sore back.


Wardrobe
Open/Close the wardrobe
Hang ur shirts in the wardrobe
A fitted wardrobe=wardrobes built against a wall or fitted between 2 walls
I opened the wardrobe ,choose a shirt then tried to decide what tie to wear with it.
All the bedrooms in our new flat have fitted wardrobes,so there is plenty of strange space for our clothes
Can u hang these trousers in the wardrobe plz?


Alarm
Set the alarm for for 7 o'clock=He set off the alarm=made it start ringing
The alarm (goes off/rings)
The fire alarm's going off=It is ringing 
hear the alarm
I set the alarm for 7,but it didn't(go off/ring),that is why I was late for work.
Don't forget to set the alarm.we have to be up early tomorrow.

Fire alarm=Smoke alarm


Burglar alarm(set...)


Curtains
Open/close the curtains 
Draw the curtains=Draw the curtains can mean eighter open or close them.
The first thing I do when I get out of bed in the morning is to open the curtains and see what the weather's like.



Part Six(Bath,Shower)

(Have/Take) a (bath/shower)+act of washimg ur body
I will have a bath and go to bed.
I will give the children their bath(wash them in bath)
How often do u have a bath?




Get into the (bath//shower)
I undressed quickly and got into the bath.

Get out of the (bath/shower)
When I got out the shower,I discovered there were no towels in the bathroom.

Clean the (bath/shower)
Do not forget to clean the bath when u have finished,there is a cloth under the basin.

A hot (bath/shower)
I love standing under a hot shower when I get back from work in the evening,It only takes a couple of minutes to relax the tense muscles in the neck.

A long (bath/shower)
I had a long hot bath after the game, to soothe(relaxing) my aching muscles,I soaked for nearlyan hour.

Lie in the bath
My brother lies in the bath for ages ,which means that nobody else can get into the bathroom.


Run a bath=Put water into a bath 
Could u run me a nice hot bath while I finish my meal?
Plz,run a bath for me=fill the bath with water


The bath overflows
Marta!Run up to the bathroom and turn the water off before the bath overflows.


Turn(on/off) the shower
He waited for her to turn off the steaming shower.
I turned off the shower and reached for a towel.

have quick shower
Have I got time for a quick shower before we have to leave for the theatre?

have a cold shower
He has a cold shower every morning to waken himself up,I do not know how he can do that!

Shower gel

Basin




Part Seven(Towel.Toilet)

Towel
A beach towel
A bath towel
A dish towel



Hand towel

Paper towels

A clean/dirty towel


Dry yourself with a towel
A dry/wet towel



Toilet

Flush the toilet
Toilet paper
toilet paper holder

The toilet seat

Ladies/Gents toilets

Public toilets

Disabled toilet


Toilet facilities
Have u been to the...?
Need the toilet
Go to the toilet
Use the toilet

No comments: