Saturday, August 24, 2013

SECTION(1) House

SECTION(1) The  Vocabs about House

Part One (House)

Build a House=Do u know when the house was built?

Demolish a House=The house I was born in no longer standing ,It was demolished 10 years ago

Renovate a House= We like buying old houses and renovate them

Share a House/Flat=He shared a house with 5 other students
Move House=Moving house can be stressful

Live at Home=Most 17-year-olds still live at home
Live in a house 
Stay at sb's house=If u can not find a room in a hotel u are welcome to stay at our house
Break into house=Sb break into our house last night and stole TV(enter by using force to steal sth)

Pass sb's house=If  u are ever passing our house,why don't u drop in for a cup of tea?
I locked myself out of the house
Do not forget to lock up the warehouse

Stair case

Unfortunately I fell down the stairs and broke my arm

I wish the children would stop run up and down the stair

My grandmother finds it difficult climb the stairs these days,she is 80.

Carry sth (up/down) the stairs

We walked up 4 flights of stairs(set of stairs)

NOTE 
Flight=a series of steps between 2 floors 
She fell down a flight of stairs/steps and hurt her back

The (bottom/foot) of the stairs

The (top/head) of the stairs(At the top of stairs they paused)


I was out of breath when I reached the top of the stairs

She Picked up the child and carried him up the stairs
My bags were heavy,so I left them at the bottom of the stais

Part Two (Room)

a bright room
The kitchen is a very bright room,It gets thee sun most of day

a comfortable room

a tidy/untidy room
Tidy ur room
He promised that he would tidy his room ,but he left it in a mess as usuall.
My sister's room is always tidy but mine is always in a mess.

Share a room=I used to share a room with my sister when I was young

Let out rooms=to charge someone an amount of money for the use of aroom or building


We are letting out our son's old room to a student
My aunt has a very large house,she lets out one of the rooms to a student.
note:1)Let out movies,meetingschool classes=to come an end
The movie has just let out
What time does movie let out?
2)Let out clothing =to make them sider/looser esp becoz it is too tight
a single room=single bed=a bedrroom that is meant to be used by one person only
You have to pay extra for a single bedroom


twin room=twin bedroom=a room that contains two single beds
All the twins rooms have private bathrooms


in the hoels(single/double) room=a  room in a hotel for 1 person or for 2
I'd like to book a double room,with a balcony and a sea view,plz


the spare room=a bedroom in ur house for guests
If she decided to stay the night,she can sleep in the spare room.
Back in(return)the spare room ,there were problems
Every spare room become coveted rental unit.(have very strong desire)

the next room=the one beside the one u are in
Someone was laughing in the Next room
I could clearly hear the tv in the next room.

the room is crowded 

the room is locked

a waiting room=at the station or hospital

One room apartment 
a three-bedroom apartment

parts of house=bedroom,dining room,living room(sitting room),bathroom
The living room has a wonderful view ,It looks onto the lake and u can see the mountains in the distance
Our living room over looks the park

She was standing across the room from me(on the other side of the room)
I looked around the room but could not see her

Part Three (Floor)

Mop the floor=Wash a floor with a wet mop
keep out of the kitchen for fifteen minutes,I've just finished mopping the floor
Becareful u don't slip on the wet floor ,I've just mopped it.

Sweep the floor
He picked up a brush and swept the floor

Scrub the floor-to rub floor with stiff brush
I got down on my hands and knees and scrubbed the floor clean
Cover the floor (with carpets)
We covered the floor with newspapers before we started painting the ceiling
Lie on the floor
The bank rubbers ordered everybody to lie on the floor
Sleep on the floor
There was not enough,so some people had to sleep on the floor

Slip on the wet floor

Pile books on the floor =a group of books that are put on top of each other
We took the books down from the shelf and piled them on the floor
Spill coffee on the floor
Do u have a cloth?I've just split some tea on the floor

NOTE
In the UK we talk about the(ground/first/second/...)floor of a building
I hope u like climbing stairs becoz my office is on the top floor.

If u drop sth ,It falls on the floor

excuse me ,ur wallet has fallen on the floor

If u drop sth outside .It falls on the ground.




Part Four(Carpet)

Hoover the carpet=Vacuum ,clean with vacuum cleaner
Colin,If I clear up all the rubbish,would u hoover the carpets?

Lay a carpet
They are coming this morning to lay the new carpet in the living room.

Ruin a carpet(spoil or destroy)
I ruined the carpet in the living room when I dropped a tin of paint on it.

a carpet wears(worn carpet=damaged becoz of it is old and has been used alot)
The bedroom carpet is starting to wear in places,we'll need to replace it soon

I swept the dirt under the carpet when my mother was not looking.
NOTE
You clean a carpet with a vacuum cleaner,sometimes called a hoover
How do u expect me to hoover the carpet with this ancient hoover?It must be 30 years old!

Patr Five(Wall)

Paint a wall 
I ;ve decided to paint the wall of my bedroom pink.
The outside walls are usually painted white.

a thick/thin wall
We can hear our neighbour's tv through the thin walls of our flat.

an outside wall

drill a hole in a wall
Before u start ,u will need to drill some holes in the wall.

the garden is surrounded by a wall

cover a wall with pictures
Posters of football stars covered the walls

a high/low wall
The house is surrounded by a very high brick wall.

hang a painting on the wall
We hung some pictures of wild animals on the living room walls
NOTE
You can also stick sth on a wall or pin sth to a wall
He stuck a picture on the wall above his bed
There were some photographs from their holiday pinned to the wall.
push a chair against the wall
I pushed the bookcase back against the living room wall.

Part Six(Ceiling)

Touch the ceiling
The ceiling was so low I could touch it without standing on a chair

a light hangs from the ceiling
It was a bare room with only a single light bulb hanging from the ceiling

Stare at the ceiling
I did not get up,I just lay on my bed and stared at the ceiling

a high/low ceiling
The hotel rooms were pleasantly cool with large windows and high ceilings

NOTE
Water was dripping from the ceiling 
Their was a large spider on the ceiling above my bed


Part seven(Door)

Open the door

Close/Shut the door
Close/Shutthe door quietly behind uwhen u leave,Try not to Slam it

Slam the door

Lock the door
Remember to lock the front door before u go to bed.

Knock on the door
I always knock on door before going into his room.

Break down the door
The fireman had to break down the front door of the flat to get in.

Hold the door open
Can u hold the door open for me while I bring this chair in!

The door leads to the kitchen
This door leads to the dining roomand the other one opens onto the balcony.

Enter by the front door
The burglars entered by the back door

Stand outside a door
He was standing outside the door of the bank.

There is someone at the door
There is someone at the door could u see who is it?

NOTE
Door handle
I turned the door handle and pushed the door open.
My jacket caught on the door handle as I was leaving the room.



Part Eight(Light)

a light bulb 
I had to stand on a chair to change the light bulb

switch the light on/off
I switched on the light by my bed and read for about an hour
Do not forget to switch the lights off when u go out.

leave the light on
u left the light on in the bathroom all night again.

the light comes on
The street lights come on at about 7 o'clock at this time of year

a light switch
It was so dark that I could notb find the light switch

switch off the light 

the light is on/off
He must be in the light in the room is still on

the light goes out

Part Nine(Windows)

Open/Close the window
It is quite hot here,Do u mind if I opend the window?

Break a window
I was locked out the house,so I had to break a window to get in
.

Clean the window
I hate cleaning the windows,I always pay sb to do them for me.


The window steam up
The windows in the kitchen always steam up when I am cooking,It is impossible to see through them.


Look through a window
I looked through all the windows of the house,but there was nobody at home.


The view from the window
We have a lovely view of the mountains.from our bedroom window


The sun shines through the window
The early morning sun was shining through the kitchen window 


See ur reflection in the window
As I was passing the shop I saw my refelection in the window,I looked old!


Part Ten(Heating)

Turn the heating on/off
It will not take long for the room to warm up once weturn the heating on.
We usually turn off our heating during the summer months


Install central heating
We are getting central heating installed next week,we are having 2 radiators in the living room and one in each of the other rooms.


The heating can break down =Stop working becoz of a fault(machine,vihicle)
The heating broke down 2 days ago,we are still waiting for an engineer to come and repair it


See the heating to come on at 5 and go off at 9
The heating is set to come on at 6am and go off around 12 noon.


A house has heating 
What kind of heating does ur flat have?Mine only has electric fires


Repair the central heating


No comments: